Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day

This Mother's Day began with a gourmet breakfast. Dan was in charge of omelets and Bryce was working on waffles. It was a regular Mother's Day brunch! While Michelle was getting ready after her sleep-in morning (thank goodness church is at 10:30 a.m.) Adam came to inform her that they were making breakfast - but it wasn't going so good, he said. A little later he returned to report that he had been cracking the eggs for the omelet and got shells in them. "But we are using them anyway!", he added.

When Michelle told Adam that she would be right in, Adam left but soon returned to say, "We are making breakfast. You're only supposed to eat it. But it's not going too good." But it turned out to be a great breakfast. Bryce learned that baking powder and baking soda have different chemical reactions in waffle batter and should be included in the amounts stated in the recipe. He also learned that when the recipe calls for 1 teaspoon of baking soda, 1 tablespoon of baking soda makes the waffles inedible. Luckily there were enough ingredients to try a second time.

In the background of the picture you can see the flowers Michelle received. The beautiful spring time basket from thoughtful hubby, Dan, and the sunflowers from those cute boys, Bryce and Adam. The sunflowers are a Mother's Day tradition for us starting from when Bryce was very little and went with Dan to pick out flowers. He decided mom needed a sunflower, and he has gotten one for her every year since. It's a tradition for Adam now too.

At church, the Priesthood took over Primary and let us all attend Relief Society. They helped round up all the men to assist in classes, so it was really a nice change. At the end of Relief Society the Young Men (which now includes Bryce) came in to sing "Mother Dear, I Love You So" with Brother Lamoreaux leading them on his guitar. Then the Young Men found their moms, gave her a hug and presented them with a noodle necklace they had made during Priesthood Meeting. You can see Michelle wearing hers in the picture. Bryce said Brother Lamoreaux told them as they were making the necklaces, that their mothers would treasure these as much as the diamond necklaces their husbands would give them. He was right!

3 comments:

Lindsay Gunnell said...

I love the breakfast story. Morgan and I had a little banana creme pie disaster too--the cooking learning curve continues into young adulthood. We hope you had the happiest mother's day. I sent a card your way but I'm sorry to say it is a bit belated. We love you!

morgan larsen said...

I really like Adam's commentary while they were preparing breakfast. I can easily picture him running back and forth and reporting on the going's on. Yes, Lindsay and I had a slight tiff over banana creme pie - our moral was to never add cornstarch mid-cooking, the pudding will thicken on its own eventually and if it doesn't then start over. Otherwise you will have cornstarch creme pie! Mmmmm.

Bert and Benton said...

That sounds like a very entertaining and fulfilling mother's day, good for all those boys to take good care of you. I especially like the extra baking soda and noodle necklaces, so cute.