Monday, September 28, 2009

Michelle's Sunday Six

Well, it's been quite a month since I last did the Sunday Six. Bumps in the road help you recognize what is really important, and as a result even the smallest thing can put a smile on my face.

1. Number one on my list this week has to be Dan. Words can't describe all that Dan has been and done for me through all my health issues this last month. I am slowly progressing in my recovery and able to do more for myself each day, but in the meantime Dan has taken over so many of my responsibilities, and been patient in helping me with the everyday things I couldn't manage - like putting on my shoes! The list is lengthy of all he has done and is doing. He has been there to encourage me when I get discouraged. What a guy! I'm one lucky lady.

2. My boys are great kids and have pitched in to help too. Sometimes your kids can surprise you with what they are capable of doing. We had a trip planned to see Morgan & Jamie in Chicago in a few weeks. We find out this week if the surgeon will clear me for air travel. When Adam heard that I might not be able to go, he said, "What will we do if the doctor says no?" I told him we had two options - either we would stay home, or he would go with Dad and Bryce and I would stay home. His instant, "No" took me by surprise. Sometimes blessings come from hard times - the trick is recognizing the blessing.


3. We got Bryce's room ready for the installation of the new furniture. Everyone helped haul furniture and "stuff" out of the room, paint and clean up. The new furniture was installed on Thursday and Friday. It looks great! Now to move only the necessary stuff back into his room and part with the non-essential "junk". Here is a shot of one corner of his room. The big cabinet is a wall bed. Out of the shot are a couple of book shelves. Yet to come is a cushion for the window seat, valance and decor.
4. I have also smiled for a month every time someone has brought a meal to our family. We have been served by many members of our ward who have graciously offered to bring yummy meals. I'm mobile enough now that we told them we are going to try it on our own, but what a help it has been to have these meals. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
5. This Sunday was our Primary Sacrament Meeting program. While I miss Primary, it was a real treat to sit back and enjoy the Sacrament Meeting program without having to worry about the details. The children sang out - you could understand every word. It was a beautiful message about the importance of families. The children brought a beautiful spirit that testified of this truth. Adam did well on his part too. He even gave the whole thing after threatening to edit his four sentences down to one. He is such a character.
6. I smile when my niece Amanda comes to help me out in the afternoons. She has been looking for a job, but has been unsuccessful in getting one. Luckily she was available and we hired her to help me around the house for a few hours each day. She helps with housecleaning, running errands and most recently driving me to physical therapy. She has been a lifesaver.
My list could easily spill over to another six, but I'll stop here. My recent mishap has reminded me in a very strong way the importance of family and friends. I dearly love my family, both immediate and extended. I never knew I had so many friends, what a blessing they have been to me and my family. When I was in the hospital so many people came to visit and brought flowers that the nurses started kidding me that "Well, I can see no one cares about you." I have never felt so loved and watched over.

3 comments:

URFAVE 5+A Few said...

I always enjoy your Sunday Six but this was especially touched me. I am so glad that you are doing better and that you are starting to be able to get around a little better. We will continue to keep you in our prayers that you will continue to recover speedily and that you get to go to Chicago.

You do have a very special family. We feel so honored to have the Dhal family be our friends. Thank you again for your wonderful examples and friendships.

JoLynn

P.S. I love Bryce's new furniture. Conner is just dying to have furniture like Bryces.

Suzanne Barker said...

You are so incredibly loveable! Who couldn't love you!

Readings Digest said...

I'm so glad that you're doing a little better. I'm crossing my fingers that you get to go to Chicago. And Bryce's room looks amazing - and fun! You have such a gift for decorating.