Tuesday, September 1, 2009

OUCH!


On August 19th after an evening swim with Adam, despite using a walking stick and being careful, I (Michelle) fell by the pool. My stick went one way and I went the other. I was close enough to the pool that my arms went in the water rather than help break my fall. As a result, I broke my femur and earned a visit from the paramedics and a trip to the hospital in an ambulance.


With all the various falls and breaks, I thought I knew the meaning of the 0-10 pain scale they use at the hospital, but this pain gave me a new perspective - it was a 15!


But now I am repaired - more hardware added. I have a rod down my femur and the promise of a total hip in a couple of years. Sigh.....


After 6 days in the hospital, I am home. I am walking with a walker and walking farther each day. Physical therapy comes to me (boy is that nice) three times a week. In a few weeks I will go to outpatient therapy. Hopefully that step will coincide with being able to drive!


It's easy to get discouraged with this set back, but I have also seen many blessings as a result of my mishap. Thanks for your visits, messages and prayers. They means more than you can ever know. I'm just taking it one day at a time right now - and today is looking pretty good.

6 comments:

Sheri said...

I am amazed at the grace with which you and your family have handled this challenge. You have certainly been in our prayers and will be in your continued recovery. We are here for anything else you may need as well.

Cynthia said...

Oh my gosh that stinks. Suzanne told me about it. You're amazing that you write about blessing. You are in our prayers for a speedy recovery.

URFAVE 5+A Few said...

You are one amazing woman! I'm continually impressed by all that you and your family do. I sure hope that you remember that we are here and want to help you. Our continual thoughts and prayers are with you!

Take Care,
JoLynn

Bert and Benton said...

ah, Michelle, I still just feel so awful!! You are in our prayers and PLEASE let us know if there is ANYTHING we can do for you. I am readily available to run errands, bring food, treats, cut and or style hair, whatever you need! Please call!!

Readings Digest said...

Michelle,
August was not a good month for you. First you lose your dad and then this. You have certainly been in our prayers these past weeks and we're still praying for your speedy recovery (and permission to drive again soon.)We love you tons!!
Love,
Stacy
p.s.
I have been meaning to ask you for the Sting of the Bee cake recipe. I have never heard of it, but the pic looks yummy.

Suzanne Barker said...

I am glad you are home now. You are always an inspiration to me, the way you are able to find the positive in any situation. Love you and let me know how to help!