Friday, April 4, 2008

Spring Break Underground


Usually at spring break, you take the opportunity to be outside to enjoy the beautiful weather as winter turns to spring. Yes, even here in sunny Arizona, we do see a change. Our family is always ready for a new adventure so we went underground this spring break.


The journey started with driving to Benson, AZ in a snow flurry! Being desert rats, snow is always exciting. The next morning we when to Kartchner Caverns for not one but two tours - the Throne Room and the Big Room. It was a chilly 34 degrees outside - more snow flurries - inside the caverns it was a balmy 70 degrees and 95% humidity.

We learned a very important bit of trivia on this outing - Do you know the difference between a cave and a cavern???

A cavern has a gift shop!!


After finishing our tour we headed further south in Arizona to Bisbee. Staying in a fun converted hotel - the El Dorado. We had an apartment with two bedrooms, a full kitchen and quaint living room. And the boys had twin beds! In case you didn't know - brothers don't like to share beds!

The next morning after a lovely breakfast at the Copper Queen Hotel restaurant, we headed over to the Queen Mine for a tour. After being outfitted in hard hats, rain slickers and our personal flashlights we were ready for another trip underground.




Since we spent the beginning of the week in caves, we headed for Saguaro Lake on Thursday for some sun time in our new boat. The Porters agreed to join us on our maiden voyage. Although the sun was warm, the water was still chilly, but the kids had to try out the new tubes! We had a great day (except for breaking the boat key in half - too long a story to explain...) and now are more familiar with all the ins and outs of the new boat.


We ended the week with an Easter picnic on Saturday with the Porters. This year we only had big kids hunting for Easter eggs, but they were not about to admit to being too old for the hunt. Michelle got a little carried away with filling eggs - so Brandt and Amanda had to resort to tossing the remaining eggs on the lawn when they ran out of hiding spots. Even Luna joined the hunt. After trying to pick up two eggs in her mouth, she finally opted to break one open and consume the goodies!

It was a fun week and good practice for summer. We can hardly wait!

3 comments:

Lindsay Gunnell said...

I'm glad Luna found some Easter treats! That is very funny. I love the new blog. Keep posting!

morgan larsen said...

Michelle! I love that you started a blog - the pictures are priceless, I especially like the picture of all of you in your mining gear. I will let you know if I have any decorative tips for your blog, but I do think it looks pretty great!

Bert and Benton said...

Your spring break looks like a lot more fun than mine was! I'm been to that same mine on my 3rd grade field trip, I think they have the same rain slickers and hats they had when we went. That's a fun part of the state. New boat?? How fun!! NOTHING beats a day at the lake!