Sunday, February 8, 2009

Cheese - Glorious Cheese


We got a call this week from Jeff Perkins - "Do you want some cheese?" Who can pass up $1.50/pound for cheese? So I said, "Yes." I even said I wanted monterey jack and mild cheddar. The catch - they come in 40-pound blocks! Having no concept of how much 40 pounds of cheese would be, I hedged my bets and called Kathleen (my sister-in-law) to see if she wanted to split this find. Luckily, she was game. This picture shows about 5 pounds worth - get the idea of how much work this entailed??

On Saturday, Adam and I picked up the cheese. Two huge boxes of cheese were ours to take home and store somehow. Not really having enough refrigerator space available to allow me to procrastinate the project, I started in on grating the block.


Thank goodness for my Bosch - and my cheese grater attachment! I even talked Adam into lending some muscle to the project.



Many bags later (too many to count), I put Kathleen's cheese back in one of the boxes, and all my grated cheese in the freezer. When Dan and Bryce got home, we feasted on cheese crisps made with freshly grated cheese - Yum!

Now I have to bottle all the chicken I removed from the freezer to make room for the cheese. And then my next project is bottling butter. I'm not sure my project list will ever be complete...

2 comments:

URFAVE 5+A Few said...

Jeff Perkins called and talked to Brian. Brian told Jeff that he'd talk to me and get back with him. Guess what-the first time I heard anything about this cheese was Saturday when Natalie asked if Brilynn could sit at her house while the boys were sleeping so she could go pick up her cheese.

Needless to say, I was so so disappointed! We are a cheese eating family. Why I think we eat something with cheese in it pratically every day. I'm passing a secret on to Jeff next time ask me not Brian. Oh well! Better luck next time!!!
Enjoy that yummy cheese!
JoLynn

Lindsay Gunnell said...

How do you bottle butter? That sounds intriguing!