Sunday, May 10, 2009

Dan's Sunday Six (a week late)

1. Wide world of maps. Last month I went on a great hike with Morgan. We did the Siphon Draw trail. I later went to one of my favorite store, Wide World of Maps and bought the USGS Quadrangle map of Goldfield that has the Flatiron in the middle of it. While there, I managed to spend $90 on other books and things, including “60 hikes within 60 miles” (of Phoenix) by Charles Liu. Great book.
2. Speaking of books, I have been enjoying “A Lion and a Lamb” by Rand Packer. It is the story of his grandparents, Willard and Rebecca Bean, who did a 25 year mission in Palmyra New York starting in 1915, lived on the Smith Farm, and were able to become beloved members of the community. They even named their daughter Palmyra. They were able to obtain the Hill Cumorah for the church. That is amazing seeing as how they were chased off the Hill by shotgun when they first arrived. Willards prodigious boxing skills came in handy during this mission. I first heard about the book from one of our scrub techs, Chino Ayala, at Gateway OR.
3. Also speaking of books, Michelle found one for me at the library. I had great fun listening (just finished) to the last Tony Hillerman book, The Shape Shifter. I love his books and how much you learn about the DinĂ© (Navajo) culture when you read them. Walk in Beauty…. It reminds me so much of all the time spent on the Colorado Plateau going to being on Motorcycle Trip… all those great visits with brothers, nephews and friends.
4. Gardening. I love to do it. Thinned out the giant Day Lillies in the front flower garden and that was quite a big (and interesting job). Gardening is physical work and it give you time to think, and to be outside. I listened to 3 sessions of Conference on Ipod this time. That makes it even more worthwhile.
5. Michelle bought me a huge mirror for the exercise room. We have been meaning to get one for a long time. The trusty DeWalt drill came in handy mounting the mirror. Now we can still see tv when doing the back pull down weight lifting. That’s an exercise you need to sit backwards on the machine to do.
6. Pool pump motor burned out, and after waiting 2 weeks, it was replaced under warranty. Pool’s cleaner that it has been in a long time.
P.S. Took the boys to the flower shop for our traditional Mothers day bouquet and 2 sunflowers run. Always fun to ring the front doorbell on the day before Mother's day to present Mom (Michelle) with the boys giving her flowers.

1 comment:

Lindsay Gunnell said...

I loved the sunday 6. Somehow I just loved the familiarity of it all. I always know I can count on any map, any historical trivia, and any outside activity to make you smile dad.