Sunday, July 19, 2009

Michelle's Sunday Six

We have been on vacation for a couple of weeks, so our Sunday Six has taken a hit. But we are back in town, and ready to start up again. Here are six good things about my week:

1. Getting to see Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. We didn't brave the midnight show, but we got to see it on Friday while it was still a "hot" ticket. We all enjoyed it - but then we are die-hard Harry Potter fans. I should have listened to the book again just prior to the movie to refresh my memory, but I'm in the middle of a Book of Mormon reading challenge in our ward - which I am doing by listening to it on my ipod - so I didn't want to waste precious ipod time on a novel. I am determined to finish by the deadline - Aug. 10th!

2. I am almost caught up on my Book of Mormon reading (see above) which suffered during vacation. I'm on track to finish by the deadline!! It has been a new experience to listen to it, and in a concentrated period of time. A good way to hear new things.

3. We started our construction project this week - yeah!! We are building a bathroom by the pool. It is supposed to only take 45 days - I'm sure it will take more, because we keep adding other projects (such as garden boxes and rainwater barrels), but we are excited to get this project going since we have talked about it for so long. I will take pictures this week and post our progress.

4. This is project week. Probably because we are done with our long vacations, and now are back in town for an extended period, we are starting on several projects that have been in the works for a while. I have been thinking about putting a wall-bed in Bryce's room to allow it to be used as a guest room, and also to use his space to its best advantage. We had a person come out this week to draw out a plan and give us an estimate. Things look good. Now if we can just decide what to do with his closet...

5. Monsoon storms are beginning to show themselves. As I write, there is the rumble of thunder outside. We haven't had any measurable rain as of yet, but the promise is there. I love the monsoon season.

6. This week an arborist came to work on our trees. We lost one of our backyard trees to "girdled roots" - that's where the roots grow around in a circle and eventually choke the tree. It was sad to lose such a nice shade tree. It started with the leaves looking a little yellow, and then suddenly it was dead. We called an arborist in case it was a disease so we could protect our other trees. He gave us advice on all our trees, and came this week to do some trimming. It was amazing how much better they look (and they are supposed to be healthier as a result). Dan and I went tree shopping on Saturday (we are also replacing a mesquite in the front yard that has never done well). Leave it to us to go tree shopping in 113 degree heat - what were we thinking?? In the end, we found two very nice trees - another Chinese Elm for the backyard, and a Vitex for the front yard. They won't be planted for two weeks, but it is another project we can put in the "started" column!

No comments: