Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Tribute to Dad

Richard Alden Porter
June 7, 1928 - July 23, 2009
After a slow decline in health over the past year, my dad passed away last week. The funeral is this week, so it doesn't quite seem like he is gone. I keep looking at the clock and thinking it's time to run over and visit (I would usually go in the afternoon to break up their day). Although Dad was confused in the end as to where he was or which decade we were in, he never failed to recognize everyone. That is an amazing blessing.
Now I am editting down the book we had written to tell his life story at his funeral. Which stories do you leave out? If I told them all, we would be there for hours. I went through his office on Friday and found dozens and dozens of pictures after he had insisted he had given me all of them. What a treasure we discovered. The boys loved going through all his medals and awards. Then they tried out the box of magic tricks tucked in the corner. Bryce kept pulling out Grandpa's Eagle Scout pin - probably more significant to him now than it would have been a year ago since he is close to earning the Eagle rank himself.
I'm grateful that Dad and I were able to get many of his stories on paper over this last year. His sense of humor, his love of family and his great character will live on through the next generations. He told me he loved me almost every time I saw him or spoke to him. I have no doubt of my father's love. I will always be his "pun'kin". For that I am eternally grateful.

2 comments:

URFAVE 5+A Few said...

Oh Michelle, What a beautiful tribute to your sweet father. I didn't know your father really well but I will tell you that everytime he saw me and was reintroduced to me he was so kind and so friendly and treated me like I was just one of his dear old friends.

I've been discussing a lot with my kids lately about what a "name" means. How our "name" lives on forever and when people say our "name" they immediately form an image or thought of that person. I've told them that they want that when people speak of their "name" that they have positive good things to think and say about them. I've also told them that their "name" doesn't only affect them but it affects their family and their future family. My point behind telling you all of this is that your father had a great "name" and you and Max and your families have carried on that great "name" and that says a lot!

I hope you know that our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this time. Please know of our love and appreciation for you and for your sweet good family.

Take Care,
JoLynn

Sheri said...

What a wonderful father you were blessed with. The funeral was a beautiful tribute to him - the talks you and Max gave were perfect! Jamie and I feel it a privlege to have know him and we are so grateful for our friendship with your family.